Online Teaching Coaches
Teachers have a tough job every day. They must know and explain content, reach all their students, and manage their classrooms. Regardless of their education, certification, and content knowledge, every teacher needs a little help now and then. Confidential, risk-free support is rare but critical for both new and experienced teachers.
MyLivePD™ provides a unique professional development platform, making online teaching coaches available to teachers when they need and ask for help.
Our underlying philosophy
To help teachers improve the effectiveness of their teaching, we provide a collaborative, respectful, and creative problem-solving environment where teachers can articulate their specific needs, work with high quality resources targeted to classroom issues, and get feedback, follow-up and input from an online teaching coach.
The role of the coach
Serving as instructional specialists, curriculum specialists, resource providers, and classroom supporters, coaches will:
- Create a welcoming and supportive environment for teachers
- Skillfully interview teachers to clarify questions and identify underlying concerns
- Review all relevant data provided by the teacher
- Establish priorities with the teacher as appropriate
- Take into consideration the teacher’s background, school environment, previous successes and failures, goals, strengths, and weaknesses
- Collaboratively create a plan of action and follow-up plan to address the teacher’s question or concern, using the best available resources
What is expected of a coach?
Coaches schedule their own hours and should commit to at least 10 hours of coaching per week. Coaches should also:
- Be on time and prepared for all coaching sessions
- Be familiar with all the pilot resources
- Be thoroughly knowledgeable of how students learn math
- Be thoroughly knowledgeable of the common core standards for math
- Be familiar with various forms of summative and formative assessments
- Create a welcoming, respectful, and supportive environment and establish a trusting rapport with each teacher with whom they work
- Be subject experts in algebra
- Quickly analyze a teacher’s questions, create suggested action plans, and access appropriate resources to share with teachers
- Review a teacher’s classroom video to evaluate how successfully the action plan was implemented
- Be attentive to the teacher’s needs throughout the session
- Establish follow-up plans
- Bring sessions to sound coaching conclusions